Saturday, May 28, 2011

If you are looking for more information about the Voyager probes and their missions, then Voyager: Seeking Newer Worlds in the Third Great Age of Discovery - By Stephen J. Pyne probably isn't the way to go. Yes, it contains some detail, but the details are somewhat sparse and the entire account is littered with comparisons to other ages of exploration as defined by the author.

The comparisons can be similar, they can be relevant, but they are not necessarily so. The problem with such an analysis is that it's less a historical record than a commentary of our own time - which is neither the time of the earlier voyages of discovery nor the time of the Voyager missions. Sorta. Technically, the Voyager probes are still out there doing science, but they are done with the work that made them famous to regular people.

I have to admit, I hated the book in the beginning. I was looking for a true historical record (as true as such things are) and got this by accident. But... it might have just been what I was looking for. It has certainly caused me to think about thinks and given me new ideas and directions for writings of my own. In that, I suppose it's served it's purpose.

This isn't a traditional review of the book, I realize. I'm not recommending this book to anyone because what people bring to books is different for every reader. I had a specific purpose for reading the book and the purpose was fulfilled, in a way I hadn't considered earlier. It did its job.

- Jim